Monday 9 April 2012

MotoGP Thoughts...and a rant!

Finally, after 5 months of waiting the lights went out in Qatar and launched the 2012 MotoGP season.


The hype was building all weekend through Free Practice and Qualifying with the Aliens (minus one) consistently topping the time-sheets and our own Cal Crutchlow showing that his form in pre-season testing was no fluke.


The race itself was looking like continuing from where last season left off with Casey Stoner grabbing the lead and looking like he might break for home but a problem with arm-pump slowed his progress and the smooth-riding Mallorcan Jorge Lorenzo took a deserved victory from Dani Pedrosa, Casey Stoner in third and a second consecutive 4th Place finish for Cal Crutchlow.


Now for the bit that really matters....


Valentino Rossi had yet another weekend to forget. There are serious problems in that garage and no amount of Jeremy Burgess and crew magic is going to fix it. That Ducati looks like it needs to be ridden a certain way and unfortunately its not the way that Valentino rides...in fact it is completely the polar opposite! Nicky Hayden is finding the new GP12 a little easier to ride as his 'dirt track' loose rear riding style is more suited to the fickle-fronted Bologna Bullet.


VR places a lot of stress on the front of the bike, it's the way he's always ridden, and rather than adjust his riding style to suit the bike he's trying to do the complete opposite but with small changes to his style....and its not working! Clearly, as proven by his team-mate, it is not a bad bike but as to why Valentino can't adapt, only he really knows...


Does this mean the end of Vale? No I don't think so. Was the move to Ducati the wrong one? Yes I think so - but when you've burnt a few of your bridges like he has, then it was really the only move available when he decided to leave Yamaha.


Make no mistake, there is a New World Order. Heroes come and go. We've had Ago, Sheene, Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan and VR, the bulk of which I've been lucky enough to see race. We now have Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa to name but a few and, after Moto3 race yesterday, the future of MotoGP looks phenomenally bright for the next 14 years at least with Vinales, Sisiss, Olivera and Alex Rins all stars in the making - and bear in mind Arthur Sisiss was only a month old when Valentino Rossi made his debut... so in that case, our future prodigy's are literally only just being born, proof if ever it was needed that time moves on!


The one thing I really do hope is that the fans that Valentino Rossi has attracted to MotoGP remain and continue to grow with the sport - there was racing before VR and there will be racing after, and it will still be exciting!


Now, the biggest disappointment of the weekend was the attitude of some of the users of social media. What began late last year as banter between mainly Rossi and Stoner fans reached a new low this weekend. 


Sadly its the Yellow fans that have been the downright rudest both on Facebook and Twitter. One user posting a general question on one fan page only to be met by an incredible response from a VR fan - who ran away with her fingers in her ears when people lept in - that prompted me to post a response in defence of his perfectly simple question.


Not all of the Yellow Army are this way inclined, so I'm not generalising in any way - most VR fans are absolutely some of the nicest people I know and am happy to call them friends. I wrote that she was 'the epitome of a blinkered Valentino Rossi fan' and I stand by that as I truly believe it. She will depart MotoGP when Valentino departs and good riddance to be honest.


To some there is no other rider out there and anyone who dares to question 'the messiah' will be immediately shot at dawn. Well I have news for them, VR is not the Messiah - or a very naughty boy - he's human, he's made a bad choice going to Ducati and he's also caused other riders to raise their game to such a level that he'd find it hard to dominate even if he was back on his beloved M1. His time is coming to an end, not at an end, but its coming - its only natural.


The vitriolic abuse that was directed at Casey Stoner, for example, over the weekend by the minority of the Yellow Army was beyond banter - it was ill-masked abuse. The reigning Champion hadn't even got off his bike before the finger-pointing and intensely personal abuse began. This is simply small-minded and crass. Sorry if this offends anyone but it's my blog and my opinion. Feel free to get a licence, get out on track and go and do better. This is not just because it's Casey, it's because he's a motorcycle racer - nothing more nothing less.


Some of the stuff I've seen about Dani Pedrosa and his Yachting Exam have been nothing short of brilliant, proper banter and harmless fun. A massive difference to what others receive...


Sure I have riders I prefer over others, I'm no big fan of Jorge Lorenzo or Josh Brookes to name but two, but I have the utmost respect for them as riders and I certainly wouldn't think of subjecting them to some of the stuff I've seen this weekend as I know I couldn't do any better!. 


I'm disappointed by the minority this weekend, one or two are genuinely have no clue about racing in general and it shows.


Everyone is welcome to their opinion - some just need to take a breath, understand the concept of respect, and consider what they're saying and how it may make them look before pressing send...


Thanks for reading. Rant over.



14 comments:

  1. Very simply, I could not have said it any better myself Dave.

    Perfect.

    END.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From someone as knowledgeable as you mate that's a massive compliment.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Very well said, I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Essi, glad you like it - it's written from the heart!

      Hope you're not too cold over there!

      Thanks for reading

      Dave

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, I can clearly see that! :)
      I also wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the Stoner bashing over the weekend & found it very rude and small-minded.

      Not too cold here, thanks - spring is finally coming!

      Looking forward to reading your posts in the future :)

      Delete
  3. Spot on, nice piece of work Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant say I agree totally. If you check the lap times, especially last 6 laps VR was actually faster than NH. And if VR wasnt pushed out from the track and the beginning he could be in the group in front of him and probably pass NH. Everybody know VR is a very good racer. There are things I agree here but I am almost %100 sure, VR will be at least faster than NH through out the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some very fair points there, no doubt. However if the VR side had the better set up he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

      Will be very interesting to see who finishes ahead of who in the Ducati Corse team.

      Thanks for reading, really appreciate it

      Delete
  5. Good read sir and more to the point very true. Keep it up mate

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...& what a long 5 months it was too!

    I agree somewhat with what you've said.

    Cal was amazing, inspirational even.
    Am I surprised? No actually. Looking back (metaphorically), all he has tweeted for the last 5 months is about training. Cycling to be specific. Yes, we're all sick of the cock-measuring with the cycling tweets, but the more physically fit you are, the longer & harder you cam concentrate.
    Yes, it's early in the season, but having actually been at Qatar & sitting right across from pit box#3&4, he looked like a coiled spring. He dived in with both feet & the training pain has paid off I feel.
    He has shown the (many) doubters that he SHOULD be there.

    I'm not in agreement with your VR46 commnets. I am a confessed #46 fan, but I am also a fan of all the riders. My only gripe is #27's attitude to fan attention. In this day & world we live in, it is not acceptable to be so flippant towards those that the sponsors want to appeal to.
    However, I may be fickle. I find myself strangely warmed by #27's attempt at twitter. His tweets are light-hearted enough that it makes me feel shallow & question my lack of favouritism towards him.
    Ne'er fear! I shall try my best to dislike him for the whole season. Promise! I mean, it would be a boring (virtual) world if we didn't differ in opinion, yes?

    But, 46 did look worn out all weekend. A little lost. Maybe he is losing that edge. Maybe he is seeing it now himself. I don't want to believe it. Not exclusively however. I don't want to see it in 46 as much as I don't want to see it in the (relatively) ageing 05!!!

    99 was supreme this weekend. Not cause he won, but because since mid-2011 you could see a maturity develop.
    Testing this season saw him & team be independent. Do what they felt needed. Ignoring what others were doing & it has paid off. He raced his own race, how he planned & didn't get dragged into someone else's strategy. And he was right!
    Well done that man 99!

    Lastly, back to my country neighbour #35. Back to him for no other reason than he was man-of-the-match.
    QP blew us away & racing, he proved he is one of the top-dogs. I'm as proud of #35 as anyone can be about foreigner (to me). Maybe others will see what he has achieved & try to follow.

    Take care Dave
    Nice piece (even though you're a silly #27 fan ;-) )

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nomad

      As always your honesty makes me smile, I think your observations are spot on - no argument from me, even the bits about CS (whom I am an admirer of, same as the rest apart from #35 who I think is awesome) but you are allowed to continue to dislike Casey - but again you are correct with his twitter account, the boy has a sense of humour!

      Thanks for your kind comments and hope you had a great time there.

      Hopefully we shall share a beer at a meeting one day and discuss our points further.

      All the best mate

      Dave

      Delete
  7. "I'm no big fan of Jorge Lorenzo or Josh Brookes to name but two"... i'm not sure we can be friends... :P

    I totally agree though, you might not like some riders but you've got to respect the whole lot of them! i'm terrified just watching motorbike racing let alone race myself!!

    Awesome post

    ReplyDelete