Sunday 6 November 2011

The End before the End...

I'm sat here poised and ready to write my thoughts on the season just passed in MotoGP after the great and kindly response I had to my introductory blog post and regrettably I've made a full on school boy error... I thought I'd got the race set on Sky+, one of my best mates rang and I completely forgot to check. Good job Moto2 and 125s were entertaining, that will tide me over until I get to see the race later!


Until then you will just have to make do with this...


I've really enjoy the 'support' classes this year, Moto2 has been a revelation since its inception and I can only hope Moto3 follows in the same vane and all pointers say it will. With the like of Terol, Marquez, Cortese, Vinales, Zarco et al hopefully all still present for Moto3 next season its already got the hallmarks of a great first year.


In 125's it was a great season for Nico Terol but no massive surprise as he was clear favourite before the season began, but the emergence of Zarco was a nice surprise and although he will definately have learned some harsh lessons this year, the main one being 'don't look back!' he has come of age in this class and will be a real force next year. For me rider of the year is a no-brainer, Maverick Vinales - a super talent, fast as you like. Top 2 next year.


Who's my money on for next year...erm...I'll get back to you in about 12 months to see if I was right! Very very tough class to call with any of the above riders plus a handful of others all capable of race wins just adds to the interest. With a more level playing field we could see the Brit boys closer to the front, although you couldn't get Danny Webb any closer to the front this weekend could you?!


On that note, Its great to see the Brit boys getting the chances they deserve and grabbing the opportunity with both hands, they are there on merit after all - the future is bright for British racing that's a fact!


Moto2 has been a revelation again, even though the fight was somewhat spoiled by what went on in FP1 in Sepang, it was really shaping up to be a full-on battle to the last lap of Valencia. Personally, I reckon the championship trophy would have a different name on it today should Marc Marquez not have had the big spill in Sepang or his brain-out misdemeanor the week before in Phillip Island. He will learn from these and come back stronger, ominous for all!


I'm split over the two Brits in the class though, I really like Scott Redding - he has character and bags of ability but his size may be against him these days as it was on the 125s so maybe one more season in Moto2 then the step up to the big class beckons but with a new chassis next season hopefully his confidence will be strong and can convert his potential in to race wins. 


Conversely I find it hard to warm to Bradley, great rider and hugely talented but, I don't know, maybe its because he's such a different character to Scott. He was always there or there about in his last season in 125s with a handful of wins but hasn't really transferred that to Moto2 despite being trumpeted on a regular basis by the commentary teams - next year is a big year for him with the step up to MotoGP coming in 2013. More podiums required and necessary faster!


That's my short view of 125's and Moto2, I love watching them both and there are some really bright stars shining in both classes, future world champions abound and the future of the premier class looks very very rosey indeed.


Thanks for reading.







No comments:

Post a Comment